Saturday, March 11, 2006

Replay

Last night one of the Sisters asked me about a former friend of mine, someone with whom this sister is currently a friend. The relationship I had with this former friend left off on a sour note taking my best friend of 12 years along with her. The way things ended has taken me several years to accept. As you may imagine, my heart still skips a beat when I hear their names.

I explained to the sister that the former friend no longer talked to me and the relationship left off pretty ugly. On my way home, I began to wish that I could recall those words. Although I was truthful in my explanation, I was not pleased with the picture I had painted.

Since words are so powerful, the words used to describe a situation, no matter how bleak it may be, have influence over other’s understanding. Not just about the situation being described but about the person who is describing the situation. My statement was discouraging, not encouraging. Yes, it was truthful, but saddening. This is not the quality that I want to be known for nor did I want to play a flat note in that Sister’s ear about my former friend. I did not go into details about how the friendship ended and I explained to the Sister that I wouldn’t. But if I could redo that moment, I would explain to the sister that though I hurt (because you don’t have twelve years without tears), but I still love them very dearly. No, they don’t talk to me, but they are in my prayers. I have faith in knowing that God has His hands even in the relationships that end on the wrong key.

The Moral of the Story - Ugly stories do not have to be painted ugly. Show your faith by ending on a positive note with a positive statement.

No comments: