Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Leading by Example

As I was listening to talk radio today, a caller came on asking the host what he should do about his marriage. He asked his wife for a divorce because he was fed up with all of the arguing about finances and church. He went to church and she did not. He wanted to take his children to church and she didn’t want him to. I instantly answered the question. “Keep going. Lead your household by example.” The host advised him to put the family first and stop going to church.

As a single mother, one thing that I have learned is that leading by example has been a strong point in my relationship with my child. It is a very tiresome task to guide my child through words and no actions. He in turn will do likewise, all talk and no play. Since I do not have another parent in the house to assist in the daily task associated with raising a child, expending extra time trying to fix what I allowed to be broken, is far too great a task than if I would have just kept going. So, by example I show my son what I want him to be. If I want him to be clean, I clean. If I want him to be neat, I’m neat. If I want him to pray, I pray. It’s the routine and dedication I am trying to show him. If I want my child to love God, I show him by loving God. If I want my child to be obedient to God, I will show him by being obedient to God. If I want him to form a relationship with God, then I need to form one.

The husband was showing his kids what he wanted them to be. I don’t know if he will leave the church and I pray that he doesn’t. And even though the talk show host called him a hypocrite for being a Christian because he wanted a divorce. Wasn’t he being a hypocrite by wanting his kids to have a relationship with God, but he was willing to give up on his?

1 comment:

Mark Pryor said...

Wow. I totally have to agree if he walks away from church that he is making a major mistake. It is amazing because many people try to lead that way - do as I say not as I do, but it is never effective.

Effective leadership is always leadership by example! As a pastor how can I lead others into prayer if I don't pray? How can I lead others into praise and worship if I set there stoic and stone-faced? So whether it is pastoring or parenthood, lead by example.