Thursday, March 23, 2006

Enrichment vs. Acceleration

Today, I went to kindergarten orientation for my son. I am praying to get him into this school which places heavy emphasis on math and science. Using these subjects as the base for learning, the children develop in other areas such as reading and writing. All of the programs they offer provide tools that can be used in the careers of today. For instance, the 7th and 8th graders are required to bring laptops, Ipods are used in some class assignments, a few elective courses are offered on the internet, and more. The principal classifies that school as an “enrichment-based school” not just a school that offers accelerated programs (I.e. Gate Programs). The focus is not to get the most for your time, but the most for your mind by staying up with the times.

Keeping up with the times is a full time job. Take health insurance for example. The moment those provider directories are printed and sent out, they are outdated. During the time it took to get the directories into the hands of the members, they were already behind the times. No matter how fast those directories get out the door, they are still too late. So members go online to search for their providers. It’s enrichment versus acceleration.

So I have began to ask myself if the programs I desire to see in the church are enrichment-based or accelerated-based program. Have I been keeping up with or waiting for the times to pass me by?

2 comments:

Mark Pryor said...

A good question. BTW it sounds like a great school as well. Which school is it?

Philana Jones said...

Macpherson Elementary School. I just received word today that he got in. Praise the Lord!