Thursday, January 18, 2007

Indulge in Reminiscence

SJ (Sean Jamal, my 3-day old nephew) marked the 6th grandchild for my parents. Although my mother passed before she had the opportunity to see any of them, I get excited over how proud she would be. SJ’s arrival has brought about opportunities for old family friends to get together and reminisce about the good ol’ times growing up. As we were sitting around at his baby shower, I heard stories of my mother that I had never heard before. And without fail, it tied in with church.

Since I was only 5 when my mother passed away, I do not have many memories of my mother. The ones I do have, I cherish dearly. Over half of my memories involve church. I remember moving from our "little" church to our "new" church. I remember the side of the church our family sat on and how my Mom or Dad would give us pepermint candy during the service. I remember taking my crayons and coloring which would eventually end up in me falling asleep on the pew. I remember seeing my mother on the piano playing as the church would worship. I remember never wanting to go to Sunday school because I would have to participate in the teaching, but my parents would always make me. I remember that every birthday party was filled with the kids from the church.

It is a blessing to be able to help create such memories for our children. To be able to indulge in our past instead of having fear of it is a gift we can give to our children. There are circumstances that are out of our hands, but there are circumstances that are not. Implanting the love of God and His church in us was a choice my mother decided to control. Although we did not attend church after her death, the love she implanted for God was embedded in me and could not be forgotten. And what can I say, here I am today. I have become the young lady she was raising me up to be.

So, with the arrival of my nephew, I am not only overjoyed because of him, but because my sister was blessed again to be able to implant the same love as our mother implanted in us. And now I can Indulge in Reminiscence.

No comments: