Monday, October 02, 2006

And the Fruit Tree Yields Fruit

“And God said let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth and it was so.” Genesis 1:11

“For every tree is known by his own fruit…” Luke 6:45


When I was growing up I had an apple tree and an orange tree. I can remember running around the fruit trees or waiting for the next fruit to fall. I remember thinking to myself that if only I could shake the tree the fruit would fall faster. I couldn't wait to see the fruit of that years yield.
My girlfriend has a lemon tree. I remember the first time that I went to pick some lemons and I pricked myself on the thorns. I had no clue that lemon trees had thorns. After she saw me cut myself up, she said one of the boys could get the lemons for me. I think she got a kick out of me looking so helpless. I know I did.

Either way, each tree had a fruit. Each tree yielded fruit of its own kind. I did not find apples on the lemon trees or lemons on the apple trees. The apples were on the apple tree and the apple tree yielded apples each year. The oranges were on the orange tree and that tree yielded oranges each year. The same goes for the lemons or any other fruit yielding tree.

The same also goes for people. Let’s say that the apple is a soul winner, the orange is a prayer warrior and the lemon tree is a gossiper. If each tree yields after is own kind, then the efforts of your yield will show in your harvest. The fruit of a soul winner will likely share the desire of the soul winner. It will have learned the importance of a fruitful yield after seeing year after year of sowing and reaping souls. The genetic make up of this person began with each outreach the parent took them on or each invite one friend saw another friend give. The importance of wining a soul was transcribed into their thinking with each yield. The prayer warrior began to genetically make up the fruit of their yield with each prayer, each moment of intercession, or each time they were seen on their knees crying out to God. Likewise, a gossiper was created with each new piece of gossip. Thorns were placed around the thoughts of that individual and a desire to prick or to hurt were yielded. Each fruit yields after its own kind.

We need fruits of all kinds because some fruit provides a powerful source that another may not contain. For example, a prayer warrior is most effective in prayer, but may not be as effective in giving a bible study. Or a soul winner feels most at ease when witnessing to someone on the street, but may not do as well in working the alter. Each fruit requires water and food to grow, and each fruit will provide you with some essential vitamins. But diversity brings strength and growth and a yield of different kinds. However, we must consciously yield the fruit of the Lord because the fruit of our efforts will yield a product that ends up looking like us.

No comments: