Thursday, October 12, 2006

Guesterize You Church

"Guesterizing your church occurs when you make guests the most important people at your church on Sunday morning. It means responding to their needs in a manner that causes them to enjoy their time with you. It means giving superior service so that they want to move beyond the first visit" -Gary L. McIntosh, Beyond the First Visit

I am not a writer. I like numbers, figures, formulas, logic! I like to know there is an answer at the end of that problem, even if the answer is infinite. So, writing has never come easy to me. I'd rather talk than write. I read an email I wrote when I first started at my job and I couldn't believe how horrible it was. My grammar was atrocious. I started every sentence with "I will".

My boss on the other hand can spit something out in a heartbeat. Seeing how easy it was to her, I asked her if writing has always been her strong point. She said she took a class in college about technical business writing. She had learned in the class that we need to write in a form that our reader can understand. Duh! You would think that would be so easy, but read some of the emails I get at work (including my own) and you'd be amazed.

Well, dealing with our guest has the same logic. Make them feel welcome in a way they understand. Have you been guesterized?

2 comments:

Mark Pryor said...

I think you summed a lot up in that one statement, "make them feel welcome in a way they understand." Therein lies the part that must be decoded for each generation. While a balloon with kidZalive info on it may make every first-time guest child feel welcome it would not succeed in portraying the same message to a High School or University student who would feel more welcome with a C2C or Youth Alive t-shirt. (BTW that's not a bad idea inexpensive t-shirts and I could create iron-on logos for Youth Alive and C2C. We could probably do the whole thing for $3-5 per shirt and it would have major impact.)

Philana Jones said...

I really like that idea. Balloons and T-Shirts or maybe even baseball caps. As I was reading this book, one thing that was suggested was to do something special, something differnt but something that works at helping your guest to fell welcomed.