Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Soul Searching is Relevant to Spreading The Gospel

"There is a difference between making the Gospel relevant, and trying to make it suitable to culture. Relevant means that we discard the baggage that we have attached to the Gospel--such as theological jargon--so that our message can be better understood. Suitable is when we try to make the Gospel another positive thinking, get rich scheme which has all too often been the case with many North American churches."

I read this on Brian Leport's blog and it immediately struck out at me. He was summarizing an interview with Donald Miller who speaks on "hip" the Gospel. This instantly caught my eye because it is something that has constantly been on my mind. How do I capture the young adult crowd without them thinking I have lost touch with the times? How do I show them that what mom and pops believed actually works for us without being seen as an "old woman"? With my more serious nature, how can I show them that I have way more fun now than I ever did before, and its not because I’m serious but because it is simply enjoyable?

First of all, it took and is still taking some soul searching. I am always considered the older sibling when I hang out with my older sister. I can’t stand that. So, obviously there is something I needed to adjust in my life that would break me out of this old hag phase and back into the times when I could be the younger sister. This required and still requires much work, but the change is awesome. It is also an outreach tool for younger crowds. I am one of them and not an outsider.

Secondly, I am learning how to bring The Word to them in relevant terms. For instance, I would not go speak in my 5-year old son’s classroom using the vocabulary I would use at work. This is the age when story time is peak hour and animation will make you their best friend. Even a walk to the store can be a fun filled story when I bring it to their terms. So relevance is right on point, when spreading the Gospel. You have to think about who you are talking to, where you are, how you met them, etc. Analyze before you react. This way you can become proactive instead of dreadfully reactive.

I know there are many more points to touch on, but these are the two I have been working hard to develop. To reach a certain audience takes research and dedication. It takes adjustment where necessary and complete change when something is completely broken. It is not easy to evaluate yourself so seek the advice of others. I think my friends have been wondering about me because of all the questions I am asking about myself. Someone has even asked if I have been reading those self help books. I laugh because I believe this is self help that is relevant to spreading The Gospel. My way of discarding the baggage that has made my approach irrelevant. It took soul searching, soul breaking and soul shaping in order to begin in the direction I am seeking and what I believe God has given to me.

No comments: