Thursday, December 07, 2006

Is it Worth the Risk?

I received an article today called The Changing Workplace. It talks about the changing culture of workplaces today. I am blogging about this not just because I would love to work for a place like this, but because this concept clearly says RISK. The risk outlined in this article that was taken by Best Buy has helped to keep them at the top of their competition.

I began to think about a conversation I had a few days ago about risk. The comment was made that some are more willing to take risk than others. Is it necessarily bad because the risk they took would not have been taken by another? When we see someone take the risk that we would consider stupid or dangerous, could it possibly be that we are afraid of taking risk ourselves? Really, how much risk are we willing to take?

I'm not a risk taker, but when I was younger I did some pretty stupid things. I was so willing to take the risk that the danger didn't matter. My mind was so captivated by the appeal of the task ahead that risk wasn't even a recognizable word in my vocabulary. Risk was simply seen as just living life. Now, there are some things that I would not do if I would have put some thought into it, but its that dare-devil that I need to reach back and get a hold of. I want to achieve growth, but yet when the growth requires risk, the appeal of achieving that growth kind of fizzles down. How can I ever do better if I never try to see if I can do better?

In Best Buy's case, the risk was worth it. When it means millions of dollars, or rather millions of souls, is it worth the risk?

1 comment:

Mark Pryor said...

Philana, this is a great post. I think it is important for us to consider that risk is an essential part of Apostolic Revival. I also believe that there are at least three different degrees of risk: there is risk that is faith driven, risk that is calculated and risk that is uncalculated (which in my opinion is crazy...no matter what...the Bible teaches us to calculate our risk in Luke 14:28-30). However souls are WORTH THE RISK!!!