Monday, January 21, 2008

Magnify Jesus, Magnify the Lord

Magnify Jesus, Magnify the Lord
Magnify Jesus, Magnify the Lord
For He is worthy
For He is worthy,
For He is worthy,
To be praised. To be praised!

We have been singing this song, "Magnify Jesus" for years now. We even began singing it in Spanish. It dawned on me yesterday what I have actually been singing. I can be honest and say that to me it was just a great worship song. I think it is one of my favorites that I have not tired of yet and probably will not.
I read this from Joy Haney's book, May I Wash Your Feet, "God's kingdom increased because of her ability to decrease as she magnified Christ." Worshipping God is not just about worship. It is saying to Him that I put You first and I humble myself to You and Your will at this moment in time. It is saying, I want You to increase as I decrease (John 3:30). This is why we must continually have praise in our mouth for Him. By doing so, we are continually putting Him first and putting ourselves in a position for Him to bless us. Oh how I want the blessings. We want the blessings! He wants us to have the blessings. All He ask for is my worship and praise.
So, I realized that what I was singing was not just about worship, but it was also a declaration from me. I am asking God to cleanse me, wash me, break me and make me over. Increase Lord in my life as I decrease. There is a God-sized void that only You can fill, Lord. And I am asking You to fill this thru my worship. I am asking for You to fill this thru my praise, Lord. Increase in my life, Lord. Increase in my life!

Based upon what I have realized this is how the song "Magnify Jesus" now sounds to me:

Magnify Jesus, Magnify the Lord (Increase Lord as I decrease)
Magnify Jesus, Magnify the Lord (Increase Lord as I decrease)
For He is Worthy (Because You are greater than my problems)
For He is Worthy (You are greater than my issues)
For He is Worthy (You are GREAT LORD and GREATLY to be PRAISED)
To be Praised (I praise You all of the days of my life)
To be Praised! (Your praise shall continuously be in my mouth)

4 comments:

Debbie Pryor said...

Philana, such an inspirational blog concerning worship. To me that's what worship is all about decreasing so He can increase. When we come to the realization that we are not just singing another song, but it is worship unto God, then you begin to realize just how awesome it is to stand in His presence and worship. Oh, how I love those moments when God steps in and gives us a new revelation or a stepping stone that draws us closer to Him. We serve a great God!

Mark Pryor said...

Philana, I agree with Deb this truly was an inspirational post. I think this one paragraph by you is something that we absolutely must come to a revelation of..."So, I realized that what I was singing was not just about worship, but it was also a declaration from me. I am asking God to cleanse me, wash me, break me and make me over. Increase Lord in my life as I decrease. There is a God-sized void that only You can fill, Lord. And I am asking You to fill this thru my worship. I am asking for You to fill this thru my praise, Lord. Increase in my life, Lord. Increase in my life!"

BTW it is great to see you posting again. Keep up the good work!!!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I must decrease so He can increase - great post.

Joe said...

I have enjoyed reading this post.