Monday, January 07, 2008

How Big is Goliath?


Was in discussion today about the height of a cubit. By definition a cubit is an ancient unit of linear measure, originally equal to the length of the forearm from the tip of the middle finger to the elbow, or about 17-22 inches (43 to 56 centimeters). The Bible says that Goliath was 6 cubits and a span (I Samuel 17:4). This means he was anywhere between 8.5 to 11 feet tall.


Not sure why this number seems so small to me. I guess growing up, Goliath seemed more like a monster than a man and therefore reached a preposterous height no man had ever seen. He was certainly no shorty by any means, but he just doesn't seem so scary. I would love to stand next to someone so tall. It would make me feel short and that is hard to do seeing how I stand at almost 6' tall. It is interesting how we view people as a kid vs as an adult.

1 comment:

Alice said...

This question came up in sunday school today, then I read right here. No one got the answer, but Sabrina said 6 cubits...LOL. Thanks for the answer, and great to read your blog
Alice